September 22, 2012

It's the first day of Autumn!!!

The first day of fall is always a happy day at our house. This past week has been marked with the appearance of socks for the first time in months because our hardwood floors were giving my feet an ice cream headache. I never fully appreciated the first cozy sock day before because I've always lived in homes that were carpeted. I will never make that mistake again.

Since it's officially fall, I can dive right into my apple obsession. I don't like eating apples any other time of the year, they don't taste right so I don't waste my time with them. In celebration of the Autumnal Equinox, I made some apple chips. They came out pretty good for a first try and no mandoline.


 Ingredients:
2 apples, cored (I used Honey Crisp and Granny Smith)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
canola oil spray

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 200 degrees. 
  • Thinly slice your apples* (if you have a mandoline, save yourself some time and use it) and arrange slices on two parchment lined cookie sheets. Spray with canola oil.
  • Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over apples (I had a little left over).
  • Bake for roughly 2-2 1/2 hours or until apples are crisp (mine took a little longer because I was only able to use one cookie sheet thanks to the crazy German oven I have). Let cool and enjoy a little taste of fall!
 *I found that the easiest way to slice the apples is to slowly turn the apple as I sliced, it also helped keep the slices more even.

No comments:

Post a Comment