November 1, 2013

Pumpkin Soup


While I was in Omaha, my family had a soup cook-off. I wanted to try something different, but I also wanted something my son would be able to eat (dairy-free). I liked the way it turned out, it may not be for everyone, but it works for our family. I may not have won, but the two votes I did get were both from children, so if you want something to please your kids, this is the soup to try. Someone told me that pumpkin soup is better served cold, I served it warm and it tasted good to me, but next time I'll give it a shot!

Ingredients:
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 medium-sized leek, white parts only, chopped (this video helped me quite a bit since I'd never worked with leeks before)
  • 1 cup chopped apple
  • 3 T. sugar
  • ¾ t. ground cinnamon
  • ½ t. ground ginger
  • ¼ t. ground nutmeg
  • ½ t. salt, plus more to taste
  • 1 15-ounce can low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 15-ounce cans pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup coconut or soy milk
  • Pepper, to taste
  • Cayenne, for garnishing
 Directions:
1. In a medium-large stock pot (3-5 quarts), heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the leek, apple, sugar, spices and salt, and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the leek is softened.
3. Add the vegetable broth and water. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn down to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the apple pieces are tender.
4. Stir in the pumpkin puree (next time I'll use 3 cans of pumpkin instead of 2).
5. Working in batches, puree the mixture in a blender until smooth, adding a bit of the coconut/soy milk to each batch until all has been added.With a normal sized blender, I was able to puree everything in two batches.
6. Return the soup to the pot and heat over low heat, stirring constantly, to desired temperature. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and fresh herbs or your choice.
Slightly adapted from About.com

Cole loves his cousin Sara!


No comments:

Post a Comment