August 14, 2015

Anne of Green Gables


I feel sort of lucky that I had never read Anne of Green Gables before; part of the reading challenge I'm doing includes "an author with your initials." With an exception of a few books (ones that require rereading old favorites), I'm only reading books I've never read before. While my married initials are L.M.T., I didn't have much luck finding anything. On a whim I tried L.M.M. and wouldn't you know it, I found myself reading this charming book.

For me, Anne was very similar in spirit to Pollyanna, which I don't mind at all. It's nice to read books with positive messages. It's kind of funny how different our generations are from one another. As I read this book I found it interesting that there were so many circumstances where Anne was scolded for being imaginative. When I was growing up, my parents encouraged my imagination, I think it's a huge part of who I am, and inspired many of my passions. I look at Cole (and hopefully Jensen in the future) and I'm in awe of his creativity and ability to imagine.

I ended up downloading the entire series. I look forward to finding out what happens next. One of the things I like best about Anne of Green Gables is that there are so many quotable moments (part of the reason I'm looking forward to finishing out the series). A few of my favorites are:


Isn't it splendid there are so many things to like in this world?

I'm not in the depths of despair this morning. I never can be in the morning. Isn't it a splendid thing that there are mornings?

It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.


The world looks like something God had just imagined for His own pleasure, doesn't it?

Cakes have such a terrible habit of turning out bad when you especially want them to be good.

Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?



No comments:

Post a Comment