January 28, 2011

And so it begins...

So this is my very first post and whether or not anyone cares is yet to be decided, but I've chosen to devote this blog to my "adventures" of being a military wife, so here we go!
My husband and I got married on October 16, 2009 but we've been together since December of 2004. That was the best day of my life, I'm finally a family with my best friend, I couldn't ask for more!

In January of 2010, after much discussion and weighing of the pros and cons; Josh decided to enlist in the United States Air Force. Though this sounds like it would be an easy venture,we would be proven otherwise; Josh didn't get the call with his date for Basic until AUGUST! 
Josh left for Basic on October 19, 2010, one of the saddest, scariest, exciting, and lonely days I've ever had to experience. I knew that the end result was well worth the wait, but having to say good-bye to my husband for 2 months was harder than I ever would've imagined.

Although this was incredibly lonely, I was fortunate enough to have made a really great friend who shared in my pain because her husband was right along side Josh during this process. I don't honestly know if I would've made it without Leshara, thank God I had her!

After the 2 longest months I have EVER experienced, I was finally in San Antonio to watch Josh graduate BMT on December 17, 2010! First up, the Airman's Run on the 16th, the picture above is of Leshara and I as we wait for our Airman to run on by. This is our first chance to see our husbands, and did I see Josh-that's a negative ghost rider.
Shortly after the run, there was a coin ceremony which represents my trainee becoming a United States Airman. Of course I was crying like a baby! 

Now the hard part comes, Josh isn't allowed to move until he's tapped out, so I have to run, sorry-walk in an orderly fashion, through a crowd of men that look just like my husband (bald, and wearing blue) and I completely passed him! And my poor sister-in-law is holding onto me for dear life trying to calm me down and look for her brother at the same time (not an easy task I can assure you) we finally found Josh's parents, who very luckily found Josh for us! 

When my eyes met my husbands for the first time in months I lost all composure I had left! I FINALLY got to see my husband. This was the best day of my life!

The rest of the day was ours to spend on base however we chose. We spent a good portion of it in our hotel room (not like that, get your minds out of the gutter!), so Josh could just relax and not have to worry about coming into contact with a superior. 

Friday was the big day! I witnessed my husband graduate from BMT I couldn't be any prouder! He looked so handsome in his dress blues-yum! 

After the ceremony, we got to see where he'd lived the last 2 months. 

This time we had a town pass! We went down to the river walk, and had a delicious lunch at the Rain Forest Cafe.

Saw the Alamo...still no basement! 

Ventured into Ripley's Believe it or Not!

Went to the wax museum...

And spent what was left of our time in the hotel room again! 

Saturday was another town pass day which was mostly spent shopping for last minute items Josh needed before tech school. Saturday night, however, was spent at the Spurs game! I've never been to an NBA game before, and honestly I didn't really care for basketball very much; but I certainly understand now why people are so fascinated by it-its just a really fun experience!

Sunday was...well interesting. We planned on going to church and then grabbing a bite to eat and going from there (Sunday was base liberty only), but our plans changed when I had to leave church early to go to the emergency room for a UTI-fabulous. What a great way to spend my last day with my husband...I could think of a few better ways, but gotta keep it exciting!

Josh had to be back to his dorm early to clean and get it ready for the new batch of trainees so we parted ways early Sunday evening and started back for home. Yet another good-bye we have to face.

Luckily, we only had a few days apart. Josh was able to come home for Winter Exodus! We were even able to attend my cousin's wedding, where Josh wore his dress blues!

But all good things eventually come to an end, and Josh had to return to Biloxi, Mississippi where he is doing his tech school. Josh's job is Cyber Transport Systems, which we all know is just the sexy term for computer networking! 
His tech school is 6 months long, that is to say that the actual schooling is 6 months but the length of his tech school is any where from 6 months, to a year long.
With this new piece of information, we also found out that I would actually be able to move down there with Josh! We didn't think that was a possibility for us, but after spending 2 months apart, it was an easy decision that when Josh got ATP I would get down there as quick as possible.
That brings us to the here and now, I'm in the process of boxing up and organizing all of our belongings so I can get down to Biloxi ASAP! Our move date is set for February 17, and with the help of my amazing mother who is driving down with me and my wonderful father-in-law who is driving the moving truck; we will hopefully be pulling into Keesler AFB in the early afternoon of the 18th. We even have a HOUSE!!! 
Well, now that the back story is in place, I can't wait to see what the future hold for this Air Force wife...

No comments:

Post a Comment