September 4, 2011

The Princess Bride

I absolutely love this movie and after I had finished The Help I was looking for a new book to start and decided this was the one! 

Now, one thing you should know about this book is that the beginning can be a little bit confusing. When I started this book I was thinking it would start with a little boy being sick in bed and his grandpa comes and reads to him, long story short-I was wrong.

Actually, William Goldman the narrator/author, talks about how when he was younger his father read it to him and when he had a son of his own he wanted to find a copy of the book and give it to his son for his birthday, thinking it would be a great way for them to bond. 

His son, however, did not share his enthusiasm for the book which was baffling to Goldman until he discovered that his father was illiterate and was telling him the story from his memory and just flipping the pages! The book that his father "read" was basically a history book and his dad would only tell him the good parts-now that's what I'm talking about! 

Goldman decides, as a writer, he will take that old, boring book and give it a face lift; only keeping the "good" stuff! So, as you're reading he'll interject his views on the original; even going so far as to informing the reader when or what he edited and why.

Obviously being a book there is a chance to give more of a background on the characters, but I've got to say, the film did a wonderful job of capturing the characters. As I read along those were the people I envisioned!!! Buttercup, Westley, Fezzik, Inigo, Prince Humperdinck, all of them!

Really, other than getting into the actual story of The Princess Bride, the story and the book pretty much match up. This is actually one of my favorite books now, I'm so glad I read it! I can't wait until I can read this amazing book to my children and when they ask me to read it just one more time, I will simply reply "As you wish..."

No comments:

Post a Comment