July 21, 2012

Shrimp Po'Boys

See I can keep up my end of the deal! I had a few reasons for choosing this recipe: First, we had shrimp on the barbie a couple weeks ago and had left over frozen shrimp that I wanted to use. Second, I had a promise to keep and I'm holding up my end of things. Finally (and most importantly) I've been missing Biloxi lately; I miss the beach, and the sun and the day trips to New Orleans remember this and this? The latter of the two trips, I was introduced to the po'boy. It was divine. Hope you enjoy it too!


Ingredients:
vegetable or peanut oil, for frying
1 egg
1 cup milk
1-1 1/2 lb shrimp, deveined
salt
1/2 cup flour
1 cup bread crumbs or cornmeal
2 tablespoons seafood seasoning (I used Lowry's seasoning because I didn't have seafood seasoning and it was pretty tasty)
soft rolls, split (cheese rolls pictured above)
mayo or miracle whip, optional
tomato, optional
lettuce, optional

Directions:
  1. Preheat 1-inch of oil in deep skillet over medium heat
  2. Beat egg and milk together. Pull tails off. Salt shrimp, then soak in the milk bath. 
  3. Combine flour, bread crumbs, and seasoning in a wide bowl or on a plate. Using tongs, remove a few shrimp at a time and coat in breading.
  4. Add breaded shrimp to the hot oil and fry until firm and golden all over.
  5. Make up your sandwich using your favorite toppings, serve and enjoy!
For my sandwich I kept it simple, I was using things I already had in the cupboard making my sandwich a true po'boy! Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment