February 15, 2013

Pizza Patties

When Josh and I celebrated our second Valentine's Day together, I wanted to make him a great dinner, but my cooking skills were limited to toast, cereal, noodles, and canned biscuits (hey, I was only 18). I knew Josh loved pizza but I wanted to find something a little fancier. I combed through my mom cookbooks (we didn't have internet, crazy right?!), and I found the perfect dinner.

I made him a pizza patty, but I didn't make it well. I knew Josh had a tendency of getting heartburn, so I set a tiny ice cream bowl filled with Tums next to his plate. It was a good thing I did, this thing was heartburn central. Oh. Man. My first real cooking experience and it was a major dud. To this day, I still get teased about how awful it was.

This year, as I was planning our big dinner, I found myself perusing through old cookbooks (we have internet, but every once in a while it's nice to see what old cookbooks have to offer), and I came across that recipe. It was fate.

I think Josh was a little nervous to try it again, and if I'm totally honest with myself, I was too. Looking at this recipe, it couldn't be simpler, which only makes my first attempt that much more pathetic. I'm happy to say, this was the cooking redemption I was seeking.


Ingredients:
1 pound bulk Italian sausage
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced garlic
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups spaghetti sauce
4 sandwich buns, split (I highly recommend onion rolls)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

In a bowl, combine the sausage, onion, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Shape into 4 patties. In a skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink, turning occasionally; drain. Add spaghetti sauce; cover and simmer for 7 minutes. Heat the onion rolls in the oven at 130°F for 10 minutes. Once you've added the patty to the bun sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.

Now that you know just how easy this is to make, it's even funnier that I was able to mess it up so bad. Do you have a meal that needs redemption? No better time than the present to give it a shot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment