September 11, 2013

Baked Doughnuts

Who doesn't love doughnuts?! I had been looking for a good doughnut recipe for a while and came to the conclusion that I didn't want to fry anything (1. I don't have a fryer, 2. I don't want to just fill a pot up with oil, and 3. I hate how oil splatters and gets everywhere, oh and I guess 4. it's not the healthiest choice, can you tell where my priorities are?!). A baked doughnut just seemed like the way to go.


I've made them a couple times now and decided that glazed is my preferred topping over powdered. Usually I like either, but making powdered doughnuts was such a messy undertaking, at least the way I did it. I think next time I'll try cinnamon-sugar.
Ingredients:
2 cups AP flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1 1/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp. butter, melted 
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk

Powdered:
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup sifted powdered sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray doughnut pan with cooking spray. Mix dry ingredients and slowly add in wet until well blended. Fill doughnut pan 3/4 full. Bake 17-20 minutes or until the doughnut springs back after being poked.
Glaze: Mix powdered sugar and milk together until smooth. Dip the tops of the doughnuts in glaze. Top with sprinkles.
Powdered: Dip entire doughnut in butter and then in powdered sugar.



If you don't have a doughnut pan, don't fret. Hop on over to Top With Cinnamon, Izy is brilliant. She not only has a great recipe for baked doughnuts, that I may love more than the Barefoot Contessa's, but she also has a nifty solution for doughnut pan-less people. Hopefully next time I make her doughnuts I'll actually remember to photograph my finished product...

No comments:

Post a Comment