February 1, 2014

My Birthday in Review Part 1

My birthday was this last week and I'm excited to share with you. First, thank you again to everyone that wished me a happy birthday. You've made me feel so loved and I can't tell you how much that meant to me, especially this year. I'll be the first to admit, when Josh has to be away, I become a full-on hermit. I take zero issue with this. I know he wishes I'd be more social, but really if I don't have to go somewhere, I probably won't.

For my birthday, I decided to use the spa gift card Josh got me for Christmas...in 2012. I had forgotten I had it, and since it expires in March, what better time to use it, right?! My friend Linzy was kind enough to watch Cole so I could have a few hours of relaxation. My gift card included a back/neck and foot massage, manicure, and pedicure.

I've never had a professional massage before, really the only frame of reference I could think of was Phoebe from Friends. I had no idea such a tiny lady could inflict such an exact amount of strength and momentary pain onto my body. It wasn't all painful; I found I carry a lot of stress in my shoulders, I also discovered I'm quite ticklish there. Between the small stabs of pain, I also experienced that feeling of my whole body shaking because I'm trying to hold back laughter. What a confusing feeling.

After my massage came the pedicure. I've never had a pedicure that included a paraffin wax dip. I've also never experienced a manicure and pedicure that took over two hours to complete. I'm not sure if the technician doing it was new, or maybe she was just trying to do a good job (which she did), but two hours? Really?! She wouldn't talk to me either, so it was a very quiet and awkward two hours.

I learned something very valuable about myself on my birthday: I do not find the spa a relaxing retreat. Efficiency is something I value greatly, and if it isn't observed, I find myself very anxious. Next year, I think I'll just curl up with a book and a cup of coffee.

When I went to pick up Cole, I found a very sleepy boy who wouldn't nap (sorry about that by the way, Linzy). By the time we got home, it was a little too late for the birthday meal I had originally planned, so Cole and I ended up having chicken nuggets and tater tots. Still not a bad birthday supper. Check back tomorrow for my original birthday supper idea, as well as my birthday cake!

Oh and before I forget, happy anniversary to my little blog! It's been three wonderful years! I can't wait to see what else is in store for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment