July 7, 2014

Cruising the Mediterranean-Day 4 Rome & Vatican City

Rome. Wow. Rome is an overwhelming city. You can look in any direction and see something ancient. I don’t know about Josh, but I was most excited to see Rome, and also the most disappointed by it. It seemed like everything you associate with Rome was being restored (meaning there was a lot of scaffolding happening). I guess in the long run it’s better for those places to have such dedicated people taking care of these landmarks, but couldn’t they have spread it out a bit?!

We learned that much of modern Rome was built on top of ancient Rome. I had no idea. There are several excavation sites around Rome where you can see just how much higher the “modern” ground is.

Our tour started off with a morning sprinkle while we walked through the city. The Trevi Fountain is undergoing a huge restoration, but they put a glass wall up so you could still see it. There’s currently no water, but that didn’t stop people from throwing their coins in.

 The Trevi Fountain.
 So much scaffolding :( 

 Cole was so bummed about not seeing the fountain in all it's glory, that he decided he didn't even want to look at it.
 I didn't get to throw a coin, I guess I'll just save that coin and put it toward the "Return to Rome" fund.

The rain stopped as we took a scenic walk to an excavation site. It was a lot bigger than it looked. It’s hard to imagine people lived, worked, and worshiped in these places and they have been preserved so beautifully all this time.

 Josh and I at one of the excavation sites we visited.
 We saw a few of these. It's St. Mary, she's placed on the corner of streets to provide light and to watch over those who cross her path.
 Monumento Nazionale
 An excavation site.
 Josh thought it'd be funny to put my radio in my pocket. Boys...
P.S. I have no idea what I'm doing with my hand.

It was time to head to the Coliseum next. This is what I was most excited to see. You can’t help feeling dwarfed by a place so enormous. The line to get in was crazy, luckily, we already had our tickets so that cut down on the wait time. The restroom line for ladies was even crazier, our tour guide told us “Go use the men’s, there are stalls, who cares?!” Fair enough. So that’s what I did, I even changed Cole’s diaper, and the line for the women’s restroom had still barely moved. When we were inside the Coliseum it started pouring on us. We took as many pictures as we could, but the rain made that a bit difficult. We ended up leaving early because it was hard to seek shelter when everyone else was too.

 This was the only decent shot of the Coliseum that we could manage, and I ended up cropping a lot of scaffolding out.
The inside of the the Coliseum. You can't really tell, but it was raining on us at this point.
 We toughed it out and took a family picture inside.

  We caught a break in the rain!
Josh and I outside the Coliseum on our way to the bus.

The next stop? Lunch. Josh and I didn’t realize this was part of the package-BONUS! We sat down at a very nice little restaurant. They served us ravioli that tasted out of this world, but at this point, it was early afternoon and we were hungry! Our whole group thought the ravioli was it, and we were a little disappointed at it’s small serving, and then this magnificent main course came out. I don’t know what it was, but it was scrumptious. Now I was getting excited, what was coming out next?! As it turns out, tiramisu was the grand finale to our 3 course meal. I love tiramisu, it’s one of my favorite desserts, and this was the best I’ve ever had. Oh. My. Gosh. I ate some of Josh’s too. Italians know how to do dessert. Sorry, no pictures, I was too hungry!

Our last stop for the day was Vatican City. This was my favorite part of the day’s tour. The sun finally started to shine, Cole was napping, and we weren’t rushing around. We could take our time to look around; it’s a pretty small area, so it didn’t take long. We got to souvenir shop too. That alone made it the best part ;)

Vatican City.
 Cole was really enthusiastic about seeing the Vatican!
 Our selfie game is improving!
 This is one of my favorite pictures we took this whole trip!
 Back on the boat after a long and unforgettable day in Rome!

No comments:

Post a Comment