October 19, 2015

Anniversaries and New Adventures

Whoa, I'm doing a blog post about something other than my kids?! Craziness.

Friday, Josh and I celebrated our sixth wedding anniversary. If you would've asked us on our wedding day what we thought the next six years would be like, I guarantee you, our first year of marriage would've been the only one we would've been close to guessing correctly.


Five years ago today, everything in our lives changed, Josh joined the Air Force. If I had to timeline our journey in a few short words I'd say: San Antonio, Biloxi, Germany, Coleden, Travel, Ethiopia, New Mexico, and Jensen. The long version looks more like this:

San Antonio. Josh left for Basic. At the time, it was the hardest experience we ever met. I think the longest we'd gone without seeing and talking to each other was like a week. It was definitely a long 8 1/2 weeks. I felt so proud watching Josh graduate from BMT, I got to meet this different part of Josh, and fall in love with him all over again.


Biloxi. We moved to Mississippi for Josh's technical school. For the first time in my life, I wasn't living in Nebraska, where the majority of my family lives. Biloxi will always have a special place in my heart. I had the pleasure of meeting some of my favorite people. Good times were had, and memories were made. Leighann, I hope you don't mind, I borrowed your picture of us!


Germany. We found out we would be living in Germany for three years, at first we were scared. We had just found out we were pregnant with our first child, and now we're moving halfway across the world?! Our time in Germany felt like a long honeymoon of sorts. It was just Josh and I (and eventually Coleden), figuring things out. Once we found our rhythm, we fell in love. Whether it was the food, the views, or the people, it was an unforgettable experience, and I look forward to the day we get to go back and visit!



Coleden. Our beautiful moose baby! He made me a mommy and taught me a new kind of love. He has the kindest heart, and the best sense of humor. I love who he is becoming, and I can't wait to watch him grow up with his brother.



Travel. We were given the opportunity to travel Europe, maybe not as much as we would've liked, but all things considered, we did a pretty good job. We went places I never would've imagined being able to go to, and most of it was done with an infant/toddler!



Ethiopia. We found out Josh would be deploying to Ethiopia. It felt like my heart had broken into a million pieces. Watching Josh say goodbye to Coleden, and knowing Cole had no idea what was happening was so hard to see, but seeing them reunited was by far one of my favorite moments



New Mexico. Josh extended his enlistment so we could get stateside. We thought it'd be easier for Josh to find a job if we were only dealing with an hour time difference, rather than seven or eight.



Jensen. This little boy gave me something he'll never truly understand-peace of mind. I never truly accepted my cesarean. I felt like if things had been different, I could've had the birth I wanted/envisioned. Jensen gave me that opportunity, and he also put to rest a lot of self-doubt I had felt. He's curious, and adventurous, and I think he'll keep us on our toes as he grows up!


I started this blog as a way to remember our Air Force adventures. Now it's more like a digital baby book, and that's okay. Our journey with the Air Force has come to an end, but our journey as a family has just begun. I don't know what will happen with this blog, but if you're taking time to read this, I want thank you for being part of this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment