March 14, 2012

Happy Pi Day!


In celebration of this day, I'm making Josh's favorite, an apple pie. I'll be honest, when it comes to this specific pie there wasn't a whole lot I needed to do. Right after Christmas, the commissary had pie filling on sale for $.5 a can, well I couldn't pass that up could I?! Josh and I also happened to go to the aforementioned commissary this morning for a few groceries and not realizing what today was, bought a few Pillsbury pie crusts because I had a coupon. It was fate.

Ingredients:
2 Pillsbury Pie Crusts (2 come in a box)
2 Cans Lucky Leaf sliced apple
1/4-1/2 cup sugar
2 T. cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425°F. Place one pie crust in an ungreased 9-inch pie plate. Make sure crust is firmly pressed against the side and bottom.
In a large bowl combine apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Once the filling is mixed to your liking, spoon into crust-lined pie plate.
Top with second crust. Cut off excess crust or wrap under bottom crust edge. Press edges to seal; flute.
I brushed on a little butter and added a little cinnamon and sugar to sweeten the top, totally optional though. Cut slits in several places in top crust.
After baking 15 minutes, take pie out cover edge of crust in 2-inch strips foil to prevent excessive browning. Continue baking for another 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. 




No comments:

Post a Comment