January 12, 2014

Baked Tilapia


I've never cooked real fish before. I've made fish patty sandwiches and fish sticks, but never prepared and cooked a fish on my own. When Cole and I went to the commissary last week, I decided on a whim to buy frozen tilapia. I am so surprised at how well it turned out (even though I forgot to thaw it, but more on that in a second). Pinterest gave me a few ideas, isn't Pinterest the best?!

Thanks to yummly.com for this tasty recipe. I slightly adapted this recipe to our preferences.

Baked Tilapia
Ingredients:
2 tilapia fillets, thawed
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place tilapia in 8"x8" glass baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Pour mixture over fillets. Bake 10-15 minutes, or until fish is white and flaky.

If you're like me and didn't thaw ahead of time, fear not. I placed the fillets in a bowl and ran cold water on them until they had thawed a bit (about 10 minutes), they weren't completely thawed when I completed the rest of the recipe, but I was too hungry to wait any longer. I kept an eye on my fish and baked it maybe 3 or 4 minutes longer and it turned out just fine.

Steamed/ Sauteed Seasoned Veggies
Ingredients:
2 cups frozen carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli (these were the perfect size for Cole without having to cut them down any further)
Olive oil
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Rosemary (or Italian seasoning)
Sea salt

In a medium saucepan, fill 1/4 full with water. Place veggies  in colander and place colander on saucepan. Bring water to a boil. If you can place some kind of lid over the vegetables, your wait time will be reduced greatly. You want the veggies to be thawed and slightly softened. Empty water out of saucepan (or grab a frying pan, I just don't like extra dishes), add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and pour veggies into pan. Add desired amount of spices (I didn't measure anything, I just started tossing spices in). Heat through to desired firmness.

No comments:

Post a Comment